Blanco Chemicals - since 1950...
BLANCO CHEMICALS LIMTED, “BLANCO” was established in 1950 by Mr. William Bertice Pinder and his son Mr. Jefferson William Pinder
The company currently is situated on approximately 2 acres of land located on the corner of Prince Charles Drive and Fox Hill Road and has 2 buildings totaling 25,000 square feet of production, storage and retail store space.
Mr. Bertice Pinder, a former laboratory technologist, researched the idea of Bleach Manufacturing because all bleach in the early 1940s were imported in glass bottle containers from England. Shipments encountered lots of breakage and therefore considerable losses to the companies supplying bleach, thought it a good idea to manufacture bleach locally.
Mr. Pinder and his son, Jefferson William Pinder, thus obtained the formula for the manufacture of Sodium Hypochlorite, Bleach, through a process involving chlorine gas, caustic soda and water.
During their product’s initial production run glass bottles were used to package the bleach but as the use of plastic containers started to grow in the late 1960s the Pinders invested in their own blow molding equipment so that they could produce plastic containers on-site. To this very day the company produces all of its packaging containers for both bleach and other cleaning products.
In November of 1970 the company became an “approved manufacturer” under the Light Industries Encouragement Act of 1970 and was granted duty exemptions on imported raw materials and manufacturing equipment allowing it to expand its production lines. As a result in the 1970s the company added a host of industrial and household cleaning products to its product line.
In the late 1980s the company began to manufacture private label bleaches for a number of clients in a variety of strengths. Current private labels include Arrow Bleach, Sunbrite Bleach, Island Queen and the ever so popular Generic Bleach. In the 1990s the company also introduced Extra Strength and Lemon Scented Bleaches to its product lines.
In 2005 Mr. Richard Perry Pinder, grandson of William Bertice Pinder and son of Jefferson William Pinder, joined the company as Chief Financial Officer. The younger Mr. Pinder introduced some major changes in operations; namely changing the water source for the manufacturing of bleach from city tap water to water tapped from an underground supply well and purified through an extensive filtration and Reverse Osmosis system. This resulted in a more refined product lacking in sediment.
In 2008 the company modernized its bleach labels and introduced Blanco Fabric Friendly bleach with lavender scent. This bleach was introduced to be used to leave light colored sheets and towels clean with a fresh lavender smell. The company now has 4 types of bleaches:
- Blanco Regular Beach THE BLUE CAP
- Blanco Extra Strength Bleach THE RED CAP
- Blanco Lemon Scented Bleach THE YELLOW CAP
- Blanco Fabric Friendly Bleach with lavender scent THE GREEN CAP
Blanco has come a long way from packaging bleach in Glass bottles in the 1950s but it is still located on the corner of Fox Hill Road and Prince Charles Drive. The company produces and sells over 500,000 cases of bleach and cleaning products per year and employs over 35 Bahamian employees.
Since 2005 Blanco has undergone a number of renovations including:
- Modernizing of the bleach manufacturing area with a series of tall cylindrical plastic tanks.
- Construction of a new modern laboratory for bleach testing
- Upgrading the industrial chiller equipment both for the Blow molding and Bleach manufacturing areas.
- Modernizing the over the counter sales area to better display products and service customers
- Refurbished the administrative offices and establishing a second floor plant manager’s office with staff luncheon room.
- Extension of 5,000 square feet of additional warehouse space for the storage of finished goods.
At the time of writing in 2017 Blanco manufactures and sells almost a 100 SKU’S including:
- Muriatic Acid
- Cleaner Degreaser
- Glass Cleaner
- Tile Cleaner
- Liquid Landry detergent
- Powdered Laundry Detergent
- A host of Pool accessories and supplies
- And many many more products, cleaning agents and accessories.